Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. - Steve Jobs

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Summer Work


Jake and I worked on a lot of projects this summer outside. The biggest project was out front. We pulled out all of the rocks in the front. Pulling all of the rocks out took about 20 hours between the two of us just for the front section closest to the house. We also pulled out all of the rocks in front by the road and all of the rocks on the south end of the house. That was another 20 hours of rock pulling. Then we tilled, laid down landscape material, & planted.

On the south end we just covered the landscape material with lots of bark. I want to build in a path someday & replace the rotted out fence that's falling apart.

We planted 8 bushes & 3 trees. I can't wait to see them mature. I did lose one tree in the process. At least it was a cheap one.

My favorite plant is the one in the middle. It's a cotoneaster on standard. It's a crazy resiliant plant. The first time it snowed I found it crumpled on the ground. I almost cried. I shook the snow off of it & it stood right back up. Sweet.


I repotted my pond plants for the first time ever. That was a huge learning experience for me. Each one is done differently & has specific instructions. Lilies have to be kept in water at all times so I repotted them in my wheel barrow. They really stink as well.
This was my first attempt at repotting Iris. It was cool to cut the babies from the mama & then watch them grow. I was nervous that I had messed everything up and over joyed when I saw that they flourished despite it.

No comments: